Since ancient times Amethyst was considered a ‘Gem of Fire’ and valued for its extraordinary powers to stimulate and soothe the mind and emotions. From Neolithic people to ancient Egyptians, this stone was prized for its beauty and healing properties.
It is no surprise that this stone found its way in the crowns, rings and scepters of kings and bishops. The rich history of this amazing stone makes it one of the must-have stones.
The legend of Amethyst
‘Amethyst’ derives its name from the Greek word ‘ametusthos’, which means ‘not intoxicated’.
According to an ancient legend, Bacchus, the God of Wine, wanted to avenge an insult and decreed that his tigers would devour the first person he meets.
It so happened, the first person turned out to be Amethyst, a beautiful maiden, who was on her way to the shrine of Diana.
As she was making her way, she was confronted by the ferocious tigers ready to tear her apart.
The scared maiden prayed to Goddess Diana, who turned her into a clear, white crystal, thereby saving her.
Bacchus, regretting his anger, poured grape juice over the stone as an offering. This gave Amethyst stone its characteristic beautiful lilac color.
Amethyst – a remarkable stone
Amethyst is a variety of quartz found around the world.
It is the presence of manganese that turns clear quartz into Amethyst.
It may be opaque or completely transparent and its colors may range from pale red-violet to deep violet.
The stone lends itself to polishing and can be faceted into magnificent jewels. It is as effective, if left in its natural form.
Use of Amethyst down the ages
- Ancient Greeks and Romans studded their goblets with Amethyst from which they drank wine in the belief that it will prevent intoxication.
- They also believed that Amethyst worn on body, particularly at the navel, sobers drunkenness and enhances sexual prowess.
- Rings studded with Amethyst were worn by Catholic bishops.This not only protected them from mystical intoxication and kept them grounded in spiritual thoughts but it also had the same effect on those kissing the ring.
- Amethyst was believed to possess a powerful psychic energy that protected against black magic and witchcraft.
- Businesspersons believed Amethyst made them shrewd in business.
- Travelers used it to protect themselves from criminals and soldiers from enemies.
- It protected the wearer against disease and contagion.
Healing properties of Amethyst
Amethyst has earned the reputation of being one of the finest stones for spirituality and contentment. It has certain amazing healing properties:-
- The powerful energy of Amethyst purifies the aura and rids the body and the surroundings of negative energies.
- It is a remarkable stone for stressed and agitated minds. It not only provides clarity to the mind, but also directs it towards spirituality.
- Amethyst resonates with the Third Eye Chakra that helps develop intuitive and psychic abilities and enhances cognitive perception.
Purity makes Amethyst most effective
Purer the Amethyst, more will be its effectiveness. And what Ayana Wellness offers, it cannot be purer than that! Check out their website ayanaproducts.com for raw and natural Amethyst that is authentic and genuine, and loaded with powerful spiritual healing energies. It can be ordered online from their website.